Court is over! The judge officially granted our petition to adopt Elsa. The adoption isn't official until the end of the 10 day waiting period when the adoption decree is granted, but still, Elsa is ours!!!!
Everyone was really nice today. Many of the questions and things they went over were the same as yesterday, with the exception of the fact that there was a prosecutor present. We got the good prosecutor. He doesn't ask any questions. The director of Elsa's orphanage was there, the social worker that observed us with Elsa, someone from the Ministry of Education, and someone from the Ministry of Health. Everyone testified on Elsa's behalf and our behalf, saying that it was in Elsa's best interest to be adopted by us. The director said that Elsa is very particular about who she likes, even with the caregivers at the orphanage and that she was impressed that Elsa let us feed her and cuddle her and interact with her. The judge really wanted to get a feeling for what Elsa is like and how much we knew her. It was an interesting experience but we are really, really glad that it is over.
We get to visit Elsa tomorrow at the orphanage and then we are flying out on Friday. We had intended to spend the waiting period in Germany but the cost of the flights skyrocketed. That, on top of the fact that the expenses for this trip were considerably more than we expected made us decide to just fly back home. I am going to return on my own to pick up Elsa. They want me back on the 14th and will do everything that they can to get me home on the 21st. It will be the 4th trip to Russia and with it being Christmas, we need to cut down on costs wherever possible. The airfare shot up like crazy. Greg and I are sad as we both want to bring her home. I'm sure it will be harder this way, but the important thing is just that Elsa is coming home.
Other important news...there is a Kentucky Fried Chicken next door to the hotel. Apparently, it is called KFC, only in the Russian alphabet, so we didn't recognize it. Inside, there is a picture of Colonel Sanders. The chicken is GREAT. We have had 2 meals there since we found out about it. They don't have mashed potatoes or biscuits but it is a wonderful taste of home.
I'll post more tomorrow after we see Elsa. Feel free to email or post. We find it very encouraging and really appreciate it. We would also love to hear what is happening with all of you!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I am so glad she is ours!! Wahooo!
I have to say I'm not happy about the return travel being a solo. Laura are you sure you can do it alone? Elsa will be heavy and could be hard to manage alone. All the airports and baggage a little one will need. I am and will be praying big time.
Seth is not feeling well. He told us last night that his stomach was cramping and still this morning the same thing and some nausea. Now my stomach is in knots. I prayed and laid hands on him last night and he seemed to get some relief. My fear is an obstruction as the surgeon said it can happen with scar tissue. Please pray it is nothing like that. You guys know Seth and you know that the pain has to be really bad for him to ever even mention it. He has been through a lot and never complained. The only time was when he had the 3 obstructions. Please Pray. We love ya, Vic
Hey Aunt Laura and Uncle Greg this is Seth. I just wanted to let u kno that im praying for u and i cant wait for u guys to be back with elsa! it will be awesome the next time we get to see each other. love ya -Seth
Yea! She was always yours, but now it's official! I'm so happy it went well and you had a nice experience. I was going to say that the end is in sight, but really, it's just the beginning of a wonderful life for you all. Can't wait to see you when you get back to the US. Love, Mia
Oh my gosh! You have waited so long for her and have gone the extra mile(so to speak)!! But God has made the journey with you. How else could you keep going on so little sleep. I so wish you could have brought her back with you this time. We all will look forward to the 21st. I will ask God to send a band of angels with you for support and strength and all those extra hands you will need. And may there be a familiarity of peace when Elsa rests in your arms on her journey home. Blessings, Karen
Hi Guys ~ I trust your day with Elsa was great. How does it feel to be Mommy and Daddy now? Awesome huh. I talked with Mary yesterday, twice. They have not been able to get on to the blog for some reason. They finally got on by going to my blog and clicking on a link I have to you. Mary is very excited for you. She feels the same way as I do about you (Laura) traveling back to Russia alone. There is a solution in sight I believe. I love ya and I can't wait for the next blog. Vic
Post a Comment